Joining the Troop
Please note that Troop 783 caps our membership at 100 scouts. We generally accept applications for new scouts and transfers from September 1st through mid-November of each year. We usually fill all available spots each year.
There will be 3 designated meetings in the fall for scouts and parents to see our new scout presentation. Each potential scout and his parent is expected to visit a troop meeting before making an application. Application packets are distributed during this troop visit. Scout and parents are encouraged to come to a second or third meeting to be around and get the feel of the troop and the meetings.
The BSA Joining Requirements require a boy to be an Arrow of Light recipient OR in Grade 6 or higher OR 11 years of age to be eligible to join a Boy Scout Troop
Notify the Troop 783 Membership Chair of your desire to join the troop. A troop liaison will contact you to arrange a visit to a troop meeting.
Attend a Troop 783 meeting. Each boy should be accompanied by his parent. You will receive an application packet with instruction letter at this time.
Complete all items in the Application Packet:
- BSA Online Youth Application
- BSA Online Adult Volunteer Application
- Each scout is required to have at least one parent registered with the troop
- Each adult application must be accompanied by:
- Certificate of Completion for Youth Protection Online Course
- Certificate of Completion for Hazardous Weather Online Course
- These courses are available online at my.scouting.org
- For instructions on how to get to the Online Adult Leader Training including Youth Protection and Hazardous Weather click HERE
- Troop 783 Scout Roster Information Form
- Troop 783 Personal References and Volunteer Activities Form
- Troop 783 Permission Slip to attend Troop Meetings
- Troop Policy and Procedure Signature Pages
- The Policies and Procedures Agreement is the last page of the Troop 783 Policies and Procedures Document also available via a link on the Troop 783 Website navigation sidebar.
- Both scout and parents must sign this page
- All parents must also sign the Behavioral Addendum the second to the last page of the troop's policies and procedures.
- Attach a check payable to Troop 783 for annual membership dues. These are typically $75.00 if a current Webelo or $100 if new to scouting but may vary. This fee includes: a troop t-shirt, a troop neckerchief; 5 tickets to the Scout Pancake Breakfast; Scout and Adult registration fees; subscription to Boys Life Magazine; and merit badges and awards.
Turn completed application in to the Troop Registrar (instructions in the packet). Completed applications will be discussed at the monthly Troop 783 Parents' Meeting. You will be notified promptly of their decision.